Saturday, April 26, 2008

philosophy makes you think, belief makes you lazy

The ‘problematic-s’ of a society (or so they thought)

: the overflowing number of youth- *apparently, categorized according to their fashion sense = and perceived behaviour of a large number of them)
(thus to be associated seems to be a bad thing?)


high believe in fate (which obviously have to be followed by effort/persistence)

the extremely nonchalant attitude in most?

" When I had finished the first volume of this book, for some little time I
gave myself up to thought because I felt that the period of my lifetime
had witnessed so many wonderful changes and new things which our
grand-parents had never seen. Such events provided me with much food for
meditation. I viewed with particular disfavour the lives led by the Malays
and the circumstances of those with whom I had been acquainted. I had
observed their conduct, behaviour and habits from my youth up to, the
present time and had found that, as time went on, so far from becoming
more intelligent they became more and more stupid. I considered the matter
carefully in my mind and came to the conclusion that there were several
reasons for this state of affairs, but that the main one was the
inhumanity and the repressive tyranny of the Malay rulers, especially
towards their own subjects. The point had been reached at which their
hearts had become like soil which no longer receives its nourishment, and
wherein therefore nothing at all can grow. Industry, intelligence and
learning cannot flourish among them and they are simply like trees in the
jungle falling which ever way the wind blows. I noticed that they were
always railed by men of other races, small fry whose only value is to
provide food for the big fry."
(Munshi Abdullah)

No comments: